KreativBricks is a mobile and web-based material and labor management app that aims to bring paperless clarity to the world of the highly unproductive construction industry.
How did it start?
The construction industry spends roughly $178 Billion on fixing errors according to a PlanGrid and FMI survey. One of the biggest problems contributing to this amount is the mismanagement of materials and labour.
Founders of KB were running an interior design firm when they felt stuck after witnessing the chaos that happens, cash flow problems that generate while executing multiple projects, forgetting things, and creating errors on site, resulting in rework loss.
They searched for various solutions but couldn’t find an apt solution for the Indian scenario.
If material of a construction site is not handled properly than a loss of 12-15% of the project cost is inevitable. This can happen due to following reasons:
- Lack of communication
- Time wasted in searching for project information
- Using multiple tools like paper, excel, mail, etc. to material, labor, vendors etc.
- No centralized tracking of material and labor
BUSINESS GOALS & CHALLENGES
- To create an Android and Web app that can be used by both internal and external teams
- To improve user onboarding
- Encourage the external team to update things regularly on mobile app
- Create for multiple types of users with different access and features
During the discovery phase of this project, we did surveys and customer interviews of 4 types of users:
- 17 Architects
- 13 Interior designers
- 7 Builders
- 9 Turnkey contractors
- 1 Construction Manager
What we found out
In our research we discovered the following insights:
- Each segment has different priority
- Software adoption and habit forming major challenge
- Easy switching from previous solutions
- User flow should match existing business work flow
Each segment has different priority
- Architects and Interior designers wanted to plan their projects better
- Builders wanted whole suit which matches their workflow
- Turnkey contractors wanted to track material and labor
Software adoption and habit forming major challenge
- Contractors aren’t tech savvy
- Their app should be very minimal
- Their app should be available in Hindi as well
- It should help to form habits of employees around the software
Easy switching from previous solutions
- If users are already using some other software, it should be effortless to switch to KB
- Hence an option like importing data from other software is required
User flow should match business workflow
- Software should be customizable enough to blend work as per their processes and needs
We observed that the app actually has 3 core values to offer:
- Tracking material cost
- Tracking material inventory
- Tracking labor cost and attendance
So we created a separate path for onboarding first time user to make him/her experience the core value fast. To do that we used prefilled forms and prompts.
To make a habit-forming app and increase its adoption, apps should solve their user’s needs efficiently and as fast as possible. To do that we implemented following features:
- Team center for defined roles and access for admin
- Use of contractor friendly Hinglish language
- We implemented gamification by giving karma score to users who were more active in updating material and labor status to increase engagement
- We designed a one-click upload option to sync existing data from excel sheets to increase user adoption
FINAL UI DESIGN
As a first part of the UI design process, we experimented with different colours and styles. We tried to focus on colours and visual elements which can distinct Suraj’s brand from other Servicing apps.
What can users do in the app?
- Users can create workspace
- Users can create multiple projects in that workspace
- Invite new users as a team on a workspace
- Give different roles and access to users
- Track material cost and inventory
- Track labor cost and attendance